Sunday, May 18, 2014

Picking technique is often a topic of debate among morel mushroom hunters.  Some say how you pick them doesn't impact the mushroom production, others say it does.  However, I have seen several popular public mushroom picking spots decline dramatically in recent years and my observation is that it does make a difference.  Several of the sites I am talking about have had a majority of the people picking at them pull the entire mushroom, root and all, out of the ground.  In recent years these sites have had very poor numbers of morels.

So while I was out picking yesterday, I put together this quick video to demonstrate a simple technique that seems to keep my favorite (secret) picking spots consistently productive year after year.  This technique also keeps the mushrooms nice and clean.


No comments: